Posts Tagged ‘IIS’

WordPress 3.1 Upgrade Issues

February 27th, 2011

I noticed this evening that WordPress 3.1 was available and my blog’s dasboard was coaxing me to upgrade.  Every single time I have upgraded, I have made a backup before hand.  At the end of a long week, my logic was shot and I proceeded with the upgrade without a backup.  As luck would have it, my Windows Server 2003 and IIS based blog no longer worked.  Page loads were an endless hourglass, no 404 or any other web browser errors.   However, another symptom included the w3wp.exe process (this is IIS) on my server consuming extremely heavy CPU utilization during the endless page loads.  When cancelling the page load, the CPU utilization goes back down to normal.

As I have an ongoing obligation to blog sponsors, not to mention I was mentally drained, I was feeling pretty screwed at this point, but was prepared to restore from the previous night’s Veeam file level backups.  I turned to Google looking for other WordPress upgrade experiences.  Search results quickly lead me to this thread which provided a ton of users having the same issue.  A chap by the moniker of jarnez had the solution, or at least workaround which worked for me as well as others.  Open the blog’s admin dashboard (thankfully this is still functional) and install the Permalink Fix & Disable Canonical Redirects Pack plugin and all is back to normal again. 

Thank you jarnez!!!

MobilePress caused 55,000+ files in c:\windows\temp

March 19th, 2009

A while after installing the MobilePress 1.0.3 plugin for WordPress, my IIS server locked up.  I rebooted it and all was well.  A while later, it locked up again.  Upon further investigation, I found 55,000+ files in the c:\windows\temp\ folder and new files were popping in there at a rate of a few per minute.

Each of the 55,000 files looked like:

sess_1dq5436rb4m9b399cojhnmitd1

sess_3meinb58v9oqra5ia0869pqig6

sess_5hbicsnrt0hn1qj9lc5q9n7g30

where the prefix of sess_ is common but the rest is random.

Using Sysinternals procmon.exe, I was able to identify right away that the process responsible for creating the files was w3wp.exe which pointed me to IIS.  However, I wasn’t sure why IIS would begin doing this after being stable for a long time.

Searches on the internet said the files were being generated by PHP and indicated new user sessions as visitors hit my blog.  That helped confirm the fact that these were coming from IIS and the blog but still no tell tale reason as to why all of the sudden.

Then I opened up one of the files and it showed:
SESS_MOBILE_BROWSER|s:6:”mobile”;SESS_MOBILE_ACTIVE|b:0;SESS_MOBILE_THEME|s:7:”default”;

That was enough to jog my memory that I had recently installed the MobilePress plugin.

Removing the plugin immediately resolved the issues and the temp files are no longer created.