A while after installing the MobilePress 1.0.3 plugin for WordPress, my IIS server locked up. I rebooted it and all was well. A while later, it locked up again. Upon further investigation, I found 55,000+ files in the c:\windows\temp\ folder and new files were popping in there at a rate of a few per minute.
Each of the 55,000 files looked like:
where the prefix of sess_ is common but the rest is random.
Using Sysinternals procmon.exe, I was able to identify right away that the process responsible for creating the files was w3wp.exe which pointed me to IIS. However, I wasn’t sure why IIS would begin doing this after being stable for a long time.
Searches on the internet said the files were being generated by PHP and indicated new user sessions as visitors hit my blog. That helped confirm the fact that these were coming from IIS and the blog but still no tell tale reason as to why all of the sudden.
Then I opened up one of the files and it showed:
That was enough to jog my memory that I had recently installed the MobilePress plugin.
Removing the plugin immediately resolved the issues and the temp files are no longer created.