Back in September during the VMworld 2011 US time frame, I wrote New View Client for iPad Sneak Peak at VMworld 2011 which talked about an upcoming release and some of the new features to be expected for VMware’s tablet based View client. I saw a tweet from Tedd Fox tonight that the new client has been released. In checking the Apple App Store, indeed it has.
The new version is 1.2 and it boasts the following features and updates:
- Optimized for VMware View 5 with improved performance
- Support for iOS 5 including AirPlay
- Presentation Mode for use with external display and AirPlay
- Embedded RSA soft token simplifies login to desktop
- Background tasking to move between Windows and iOS apps
- Updated look and feel
- Integrated online help
- Buffered text input for multibyte text entry
- Now in French, German, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Bug Fixes
Requirements: Requires iPad iOS 4.2 or later.
I just upgraded and right away I noticed the new interface as well as some advanced finger gestures I hadn’t seen before (these may or may not be new).
The next thing that I noticed was that I could multitask! This is the feature I’ve wanted the most personally. I can now stop in the middle of a session, switch to another application or exit out to the iPad desktop and the View desktop connection remains established when I go back to it.
If you have in iPad, go grab your free copy. I don’t have an Android but I’m hearing a version was released for that platform as well.
Thank you VMware and Thank you Tedd!